Friday, March 12, 2010

Deion has no internet access so I post for her. She sent this.

3,4,10 Deion’s letter for blog

I don’t want to cause further pain for Dennis Brooks’ family, my family or anyone else who has been affected by all this. Regardless of what I say in writing this I know people will be affected and I know the hatred everyone holds toward me.
Yes, the Brooks family is the victims. I don’t even consider myself worthy of their forgiveness. I never will until I can change what happened that horrible night and that is not possible. During my entire incarceration I’ve tormented myself to find the courage to reach out to the Brooks family. With the advice of my attorneys, family and friends I was instructed that it would not be the appropriate thing to do. So being the coward I am I never did until now.
Not a day goes by that I don’t think about my children which remind me of my responsibility that led to the death of Dennis. I don’t know why I receive the privilege to talk to my children when Mr. and Mrs. Brooks will never hear the voice of their son again. All I can say is that I love my children and God’s mercy gives me the strength to continue on.
No one likes to relive the past especially when it has been tragic. I’m not trying to justify the murder of Dennis by what happened to me in the past. Reliving my past has led me to months of depression and physical sickness. It’s not something I want to do but I’ve got to understand how I got myself in the situation of that July night and why I didn’t have the courage to prevent it from happening.
It’s not easy to tell a parent that you’ve been sexually abused by family members and it’s not easy for the parent to deal with, especially if it’s a close relative that denies it happened. This causes conflict and families are forced to choose sides. This does not mean I hate my parents or anyone in my family. I have forgiven everyone who has hurt me. In the past year I agreed to visit with my cousin who raped me and I told him I had forgiven him for what happened. We had several nice visits and I do plan to visit with him more in the future.
Again my past abuse does not justify this senseless murder. It helps me to better understand why I could not control the situation that July night and why I let men dominate my life. With understanding who I am I can admit who I was and forgive myself and continue to try and prevent my children from becoming the person I was.
My daughter and husband are not defending the person I was. They are defending the person I am today. I give my deepest remorse and regrets foremost to the Brooks family and all the others that are affected also to my children and family and others for stigmatizing the family name.

Deion Harris

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger alwaysupforfun said...

She obviously loves her kids...how would she feel if someone killed her kids like she killed Dennis?

12:42 PM  
Blogger DawnR said...

I just don't understand how she got the sentence she did when she didn't do the killing?? I don't think she should have gotten first degree because she didn't plan the murder and didn't even know it was going to happen.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Deion'sDaughter said...

Spencer,
Since it's me your speaking of...
Wishing pain or death upon someone else is not an appropriate way to deal with hurt.
That's extremely immature.
Prayer & forgiveness will help...

Dawn,
I agree...

Savannah Harris

11:41 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Deion & Tim,

I viewed your story on "Prison Wives.".
My heart goes out to everyone involved. Deion, you have a beautiful, level-headed daughter. I am a single mom and she reminded me of my daughter. Savannah, I hope you go onto doing amazing things in your life!

Deion, I do not have to tell you how blessed you are to have Tim in your life. We need more people like him in the world. A caring and gentle soul.

I hope you are working with therapists within the prison walls and somehow you will have some of the weight lifted off your shoulders. I do wish you well.

I feel for the victim's family too and I hope they find peace. I am not sure how I would feel, but I do believe God is forgiving.

Now, on your release, has Tim thought of creating a petition for you? In light of your episode on "Prison Wives," you may receive more signatures than you think. I am sure he is devoting many hours of research on your release,

I have a friend in prison and we have corresponded for 11 years. I created a petition for him and received many signatures.

I will wrap this up and I do hope Drew's life turns around.

Thanks for sharing your story and stay strong.

Susan

9:38 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Thank you Susan. We all appreciate encouragement. I will forward this to Deion. She will be pleased.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:51 PM  
Blogger alwaysupforfun said...

Dear Savannah,

You misunderstood my comment. My comment referred to as a MOTHER who loves her kids, I sure she can not imagine the pain she would feel if something happened to you or your brother. This is NOT the same thing as wishing pain or death upon someone else (LIKE YOUR MOTHER DID!)

However, that is what she did to her victim's family!! I can only base my judgment on watching the program since I do not know your mother. However, I feel sorry for the victim, his family, your brother and yourself but NOT your mother. She made her choices like we all do and she has to live with her choices.

Good luck to you, I do wish you the best.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Savannah - I wish you the best in your future. You do have such a level head and I am sure that is a huge blessing for your mother to see you break free from the life she lead.

I agree with you Dawn, completely.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Deion & Tim, I have never commented on a blog or anywhere on the interenet but I saw your story and my heart goes out to you both. As a christian I am alittle upset about the fact that you left your family but I am not to judge you because I have not lived in your shoes thats between you and God. I do beleive now that you and Dieon are spiritual partners and theres a reason you are to belong to each other.God has a plan for everyone. Also God is a forgiving GOD and NO ONE can judge you nor Dieon but GOD. I believe unless or until you have been in that type of relationship that Dieon was in with that guy that murdered Dennis(God rest his soul) that you can never know what she was going through at the time of the murder. Dieon was beyond terrified of this guy and rightly so if a human being will shoot someone in cold blood and cut there heart out of there body, anyone reading this or out there cant even begin to know what its like to be with a individual who has this state of mind! DONT JUDGE unless YOU KNOW THIS, WHAT TERRIER SHE HAD TO HAVE BEEN IN. She couldnt have not possibly been thinking straight because of her fear at that moment and ONLY GOD knows and understand her Fear so Only GOD can Judge. Do Not speak to Savannah about her mother in a negative way unless you can understand what I have said in this comment. I know she doesnt belong behind bars any longer, and God will take care of this situation according to his will. I will keep your family in my prayers. Blessings

1:24 AM  
Blogger DawnR said...

Deion,

I will pray that God release you from your sentence. I still cannot for the life of me understand why you got such a harsh sentence, considering you didn't know what was going on and the murder that was about to occur. So I offer a word of encouragement: put your faith and hope in the Lord Jesus, cry out to Him and He will hear you. The Lord is near to those with a broken heart.

Tim: I will sign any petition just let me know when you get one together. God bless you both!

10:42 AM  
Blogger DawnR said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W said...

Savannah,
My heart goes out to you and your family. I am a 21 yr old and I couldn't imagine living with my mother not around everyday. I have been trying to find a way to get ahold of you to send you a personal email. I obviously realize you can not disclose that on here. But again, I am truly sorry.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer W said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:31 AM  
Blogger lisa k. said...

I don't think Dione should still be in prison. I think she is a victim herself. What was she going to do that night, stop what happened? How? I just think she deserves a second chance.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think Deion was a victim herself, forced into a situation by fear from a psychopathic killer. She did her time, now grant this women a second chance. She's spent 20 years in prison for not stopping 2 grown men kill an innocent man, do we really think one women could stop to abusive men who were high and drunk?
God bless the Brooks family parents should not have to burry their own child.

To Deion's family my prayers to you so she can get that second chance!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Intrigued w said...

I saw your episode on crime watch and was emmensly intrigued I think what you are doing is incredibly wonderful and selfless I would love to speak with you

5:53 AM  
Blogger Intrigued w said...

I saw your episode on crime watch and was emmensly intrigued I think what you are doing is incredibly wonderful and selfless I would love to speak with you

6:24 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I hope and pray she finds her way home. That man that is responsible will get Karma in due time for making others suffer with him. God bless

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home