Monday, April 18, 2005

Defending Children

To the Editor March 24, 2003
Carroll County News-Leader
P.O. Box 888
Huntingdon, TN 38344,

I’m writing in regard to the corporal punishment used on in our schools. I was utterly astonished when I was informed that my daughter received corporal punishment for turning in homework late! The school file report states, “chose licks instead of detention.” My daughter isn’t old enough to decide if she can get her ears pierced or go to a school function without the consent of a parent. Why should she be allowed to choose corporal punishment without the same approval?
I clearly remember my 7th grade school year at Huntingdon Jr. High. I was removed from the classroom and led to a little room where my teacher told me to bend over and grab my ankles. He then proceeded to give me 3 licks with a large paddle. Would you like to know what’s going through an adolescent girl’s mind when this is happening? It is degrading and humiliating for an adult male to tell a twelve-year old girl to bend over and grab her ankles or knees! As she’s bent over all her self worth and respect is stolen. The little girl asks herself, “Do all men get to do this to me?” “What did I do so bad to deserve this?” With what little dignity she has left she uses it to hold back the tears before she walks back into the classroom. Please tell me what good corporal punishment has done this little girl?
My daughter spends many days representing the school on the cheer squad. She works hard and struggles to keep her grades above average. Most children don’t learn at the same pace as others. Have the teachers thought about taking a little extra time to help the student who doesn’t comprehend as quickly as the others? I guess that’s what corporal punishment is for! The bruises on her buttocks will remind her that she’s a bad girl for not learning as quick as the other kids and turning her homework in late. Maybe next time she’ll turn her homework in whether she understands it or not.
My daughter isn’t the only girl in our school who’s received corporal punishment that left bruises. On any morning ten students will be lined up for licks in the office.
Beating our children isn’t helping them learn in school. It’s doing more harm than good. I do understand children’s need to be disciplined. Our schools need to learn to work with parents on discipline and homework problems. Please don’t let this happen to our children any longer. Stop corporal punishment before it does any more damage!
But who am I to ask this of you? I’m just a concerned mother in prison doing life without parole because I was molested, raped, physically and mentally abused, and controlled by men as a child up through adulthood.
Will my cry of help to protect our children be heard?

Respectfully,


Teresa Deion Smith Harris 233590
T.P.W, Unit 2 North B-62
Nashville, TN 37218-3302

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home