Saturday, July 09, 2005

SEX IN THE NIGHT

Deion was 15. It was June of 1986 and she had just completed the 10th grade. She and Lynette. went on a trip to Arkansas with Lynette’s uncle,(brother of her mom) Gary. He was married, about 31 and dealt in some drugs. On the way over he bought the girls wine coolers to drink as they drove. They stopped in Arkansas at Lynette’s mother’s sister’s house, then went on to a small town where they stayed with Gary’s mom and his two brothers. They stayed in this small town for some time, a week maybe. Lynette knew a lot of people in this town, being from here. Each night the girls would party, drink and smoke pot. Sometimes just the two of them. Sometimes girls and boys/men. Lynette’s uncle Gary had gone on to visit other relatives and after a few days came back, stopping for just one night in Arlene’s sister’s where the girls were also.
In the middle of the night Gary came in the dark to Deion who was asleep on the front room couch. She awoke as he silently pulled down her pj bottoms and forced himself in her. She didn't move and he said nothing. No kissing, no tenderness, just unwanted sex. In the morning no one said a word. Deion felt sick likely from post rape trauma. They drove home and she was in the back of the crew cab silent and feeling terrible. Someone asked what was wrong and she just said she didn't feel good. Ever after that Deion felt guilty around his wife whom she saw frequently. Deion thinks her girlfriend knew what happened. The parents of the house didn't seem to know. Deion knew and liked Gary’s wife but ever after this felt guilty around her. Guilty for having sex with her husband.
Fifteen years later Deion would bring this up when I questioned her how often she had been raped. Initially she answered “once,” then “twice.” In answer to the question “How often was there unwanted sex,” this story, and many others emerged.
“Why didn’t you fight him off or cry out” I asked. Deion looked mystified and only said, “I wasn’t taught to.”
“How did you endure the sex?”
“You just do, you wait until it’s over.”

2 Comments:

Blogger DMWOLFE67 said...

Unfortunately, This kind of thing happens far too often. I am just blown away at how many of the women I know, and have known over the past 30 years, have at some time in their lives been raped, or molested. I have found that almost every woman I have ever known was some time in their childhood, molested, or forced into sex in some fashion. It is time for america to wake up to the problem, and start being serious about the punishment to Child predators, and pedophiles. All sex crimes should be dealt with seriously the first time, no more letting these predators out to target our children.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Katlaydee said...

I am truly shocked and not sure if I believe this account. I met Deion in the summer of 1987. I remember her being a sweet, quiet girl. My first husband was a cousin of Lenette (correct spelling) and Gary. I met them all that summer when we traveled down from Michigan. I got to know Gary and Earlene better over the years that my ex and I dated and were married and I have a very hard time believing that he could do this horrible thing to her.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home